Rufat Safarov called his criminal case retaliation for his human rights work.

Defense Line Director Rufat Safarov, at a Baku court hearing, described his criminal prosecution as a political hit in retaliation for his human rights work. A witness who testified at the hearing did not confirm the investigation's version of events.

As reported by the "Caucasian Knot," on January 26, at a court hearing in Rufat Safarov's case, victim Natig Imanguliyev admitted that he had not undergone a medical examination, despite the investigation file containing a doctor's report. The victim's testimony confirmed the theory that the case was fabricated and Safarov's innocence.

On December 8, 2025, Natig Imanguliyev's testimony was heard. The victim's version of the location of the conflict presented at the hearing conflicted with the materials provided by the defense. Furthermore, according to mobile phone data, Imanguliyev was in contact with police officers before the incident, who soon detained Safarov.

On February 16, a hearing was held in the Baku Court of Grave Crimes for Rufat Safarov. Unlike previous hearings, yesterday the human rights activist was placed in a glass cage rather than sitting next to his lawyers, the activist's mother, Tahir Tahirgyzy, told a Caucasian Knot correspondent today.

According to her, the court explained this by saying that Safarov had engaged in a verbal altercation with the state prosecutor at the previous hearing. "Rufat stated that he doesn't care where he is (in a cage or with his lawyers), since everyone, including the prosecutor and judges, knows full well that he was arrested on political orders in retaliation for his human rights activities and criticism of the security forces, and he doesn't expect a fair verdict. But he asked the court to at least give him the opportunity to defend himself and not restrict his ability to speak the truth," Takhirgyzy said.

Rufat Safarov, executive director of the human rights organization "Line of Defense," is accused of embezzling money from Natig Imanguliyev, who transferred 60,000 manat (approximately $36,000) to purchase a plot of land and did not receive it back when the deal fell through. On September 29, 2025, Safarov testified to the court that he was provoked by security forces on the day of his arrest. According to Safarov, he was attacked in the underground parking garage, after which he grabbed his attacker by the belt and called for a security guard. However, a police car immediately appeared, and the human rights activist was detained.

Then, according to Takhirgyzy, Eldar Gadzhiev, who works as a security guard at the parking garage where the incident between Safarov and Imanguliyev occurred, testified at the hearing.

Therefore, he did not confirm the investigation's version of events.

"Before the witness's testimony, Rufat told the elderly security guard that he was aware that he had also been taken to the police station and held there for two days to testify against him. Rufat told the elderly man that he could say whatever he wanted so that no further harm would come to him. However, the man said he had not witnessed the incident, and by the time he arrived, Rufat had already been detained by the police. "Therefore, he did not confirm the investigation's version that Rufat caused bodily harm to the victim," the activist's mother said.

According to her, in response to questions from the defense, the witness said that he himself was also put into a car by four masked police officers and taken to the police station, where he was held for two days. Gadzhiev's questioning will continue at the next court hearing.

Lawyer Rovshan Rahimli told a "Caucasian Knot" correspondent that the defense has filed a motion to investigate the income of Imanguliyev, who claims to have provided funds for the purchase of a plot of land, and has requested that a corresponding request be sent to the Ministry of Labor and Social Protection.

According to her, Rufat Safarov has also filed a motion to send a request to the drug treatment center to determine whether Imanguliyev used drugs. Safarov explained that he himself had worked as an investigator in the past, and that sometimes a person's behavior raises suspicions about drug addiction. The court granted both motions.

An employee of the Baku Serious Crimes Court told a Caucasian Knot correspondent that the next court hearing is scheduled for March 2. Representatives of the prosecution were unavailable for comment.

As a reminder, Rufat Safarov was detained in Baku on December 3, 2024, and later arrested on charges of fraud and hooliganism. He denied the charges, citing his human rights activities. Safarov's detention prevented him from flying to the United States, where he was awarded the State Department Award in absentia on December 10, 2024.

Rufat Safarov is the son of Eldar Sabiroglu (Safarov), co-founder of the ruling New Azerbaijan Party. He served as a member of parliament from 1995 to 2000 and then headed the Defense Ministry's press service until 2013. In 2019, Rufat Safarov received threats demanding that he cease his opposition activities. His mother also received death threats. In May 2022, Safarov was one of the organizers of a rally against the persecution of activists and journalists, and threats of arrest were conveyed to him through his father.

Safarov previously worked as an investigator for the Zerdab District Prosecutor's Office. In September 2016, he was sentenced to nine years in prison on charges of bribery. Safarov himself did not admit guilt, stating the political nature of the case. Before his arrest, he submitted his resignation in disagreement with the policies of the Azerbaijani government. In March 2019, Safarov was pardoned. A year later, he and like-minded individuals founded the human rights organization "Line of Defense."

Source: https://www.kavkaz-uzel.eu/articles/420878